"what is shipping?"
Malcolm X pointed out in the 1960s that no civil rights statutes will give Black people their freedom, and asked if Africans in America were really citizens why would civil rights be necessary. Malcolm X observed civil rights had been fought for at great sacrifice, and therefore should be enforced, but if the government won’t enforce the laws, then the people will have to do so, and the movement will have to pressure the government authorities to protect democratic rights. To unite the masses of people behind a working class anti-racist movement, the following practical demands, which are a combination revolutionary and radical reformism, to ensure democratic rights, are necessary:
Lorenzo Kom’boa Ervin, Anarchism and Black Revolution (1994)
1. Black and white workers’ solidarity. Fight racism on the job and in society.
2. Full democratic and human rights for all non-white peoples. Make unions fight racism and discrimination.
3. Armed self-defence against racist attacks. Build mass movement against racism and fascism.
4. Community control of the police, replacement of cops by community self- defence force elected by residents. End police brutality. Prosecution of all killer cops.
5. Money for rebuilding the cities. Creation of public works brigades to rebuild inner city areas, made up of community residents.
6. Full socially useful employment at union wages for all workers. End racial discrimination in jobs, training and promotions. Establish affirmative: action programs to reverse past racist employment practices.
7. Ban the Ku Klux Klan, Nazis and other fascist organisations. Prosecution of all racists for attacks on people of colour.
8. Free open admissions to all institutions of learning for all those qualified to attend. No racial exclusion in higher education.
9. End taxes of workers and poor. Tax the rich and major corporations.
10. Full health and medical care for all persons and communities, regardless of race and class.
11. Free all political prisoners and innocent victims of racial injustice. Abolish prisons. Fight economic disparity.
12. Rank and file democratic control of the unions by building an Anarcho-Syndicalist labour movement. Make unions active in social issues.
13. Stop racist harassment and discrimination of undocumented workers.